Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!!!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year! Since I came Home, I haven't been online at all. This is the first time I've been on!

I wanted to write a bit about how I've changed and what the New Year might mean to me. Over the past year, I have realized a few truths about myself.

I find things I like to do and intend to do them on a consistent basis, but never manage to keep up with it, I go through phases of interest. Blogging, poetry, puzzles, reading, I love all of them, but can go months without reading a book for pleasure and then read 17 books in two weeks. I wish I could be more consistent next year.

I feel like I need my friends. I don't like to function without having some kind of friendly banter going on. I had never been away from my confidants before I moved to Galveston. I'm so glad I figured this out before I moved far away for a job some time in the future. I want to find a way to make friends in Galveston and live (sanely!) without my friends back Home.

I am a push over. I let people do pretty much what they want concerning me and I shouldn't. I need to learn to stand up for myself.

These could be considered New Year's Resolutions, but I don't think of them that way. They are just things I want to make better about myself. I would probably make this list at this point in my life even if it were not for the New Year.

6 comments:

GEWELS said...

Happy New Year to you too!!!!

I think many people go through phases of interest. I know I will do the same with reading -nothing for months then 4 books in a week. It's just what we feel we need to do at any one time and what captures our attention.

Right now I am so into horseback riding it's absolutely insane. Last year I was dying for new ice skates (which I have yet to use).

I won't cook for weeks then have 3 dinner parties in a row and cook up a storm.
Consistency? I don't know- I think I would get bored without the spontaneity.
Friends? You'll have plenty wherever you go- I'm sure- no worries there.

Just the fact that you think about this and pose these questions speaks volumes about your maturity. Some people at my age (ah-hem 48) still haven't figured any of it out.

GrizzBabe said...

I'am with gewels. I am almost 41 years old and I still have not figured out the consistency thing yet. Let me know when you do.

Water Baby said...

gewels, I guess I didn't realize that yall do the same thing. Most of you post on a daily basis and I can't even manage to post daily for a few weeks!

grizzbabe, I just feel like I'm a bit more scatterbrained than most people are! But you are both right, it's ok to be inconsistent sometimes!!

bulletholes said...

You are soooo like me girl!

Barbara said...

Life is about constantly making resolutions to change things and then breaking them to start again. I think you are either senile or dead when you no longer realize you're not perfect!

Happy New Year!

Mother of Invention said...

Good ones for you to address and there's no timeline. You can work on such things all your life.

(Hey, I only post about 2 or 3 times a week and I hardly ever read books!)

Good luck with these. I hope you do meet a whole lot of new friends, yet, not forgetting your old ones. That's what I've done and now I have tons of friends from all different eras of my life.

Have a great 2008!